Re: Xfree 4.1 with potato and dependency problems

> I run potato and I've installed Xfree 4.1.and I get a dependency problem with the package libfreetype6, from which xlibs, xterm and xbase-client depend. I downloades and installed this package. Then it appears that this package depends on libc>=2.2. which I downlooaded too because it's not included in the potato CDs. When I try to install this package other conflict and dependency problems occur, so I wonder if it will become a never ending chain.
>
> I've thought about upgrading to Woody to get rid of those dependency problems, but I would prefer to stay with potato as I'm still novice in debian and in linux.
>
> What do you suggest me to do? Are potato and Xfree 4.1 really compatible?
>
> Marcel

Hi Marcel,
XFree 4 and Potato aren't compatible because it needs new libc6 (it is the main thing in each debian distribution i think)
so if you attempt to upgrade the libc6 you must use testing version so in this moment you are destructing the stable
base of potato distribution (mail me anybody if i am wrong) ( and libc6 isn't the only thing X4 needs .... ;) )
i had the same problem that's why i've upgraded to woody and that's my advice to you