Re: emacs20 requires xlibs and xfree86-common?

Kurt Lieber <debian@kirpatrick.com> writes:

> I've always been a vim user, so I've never installed emacs on my machines.
> However, I have a need for it now and when I went to install it, discovered
> that it has all kinds of x-related dependencies (xfree86-common, xlibs,
> libxaw7)
>
> Does anyone know what the correlation is between text-based emacs and x?
> (this is the emacs20 package from woody -- NOT xemacs21)   Is this something
> I can safely override (probably not) or work around and still use the debian
> package system?
>
> Suggestions welcome.

I'd suggest compiling from source if you don't want to waste the extra
space from the xlibs. Compiling from source (got it from ftp.gnu.org)
took less than 5 minutes on the dev server at work (a solaris box that's
full of vi users :-) since there's not a whole lot of code in emacs that
needs compiling. Shouldn't take too much longer on a Linux desktop.

Otherwise, just install the xlibs and forget about them :-)

HTH