Re: Packages list?

> Thank you for your timely reply.
>
> I didn't mention this VGA laptop only has a floppy and harddrive.  Cannot be
> connected to any type of network.
>
> Using "dselect", on "access" it seems to recognize the floppy.  On "update"
> I put in the disk with three packages (.deb) I want to install and I get
> I then press enter because my disk with packages is in the drive and get
> this message repeated three times: "/var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/packages  does
> not exist".  At this point I have no choice but to type Q to quit.  The next
> step is Select and my packages do not show up.  At this point I exit
> "deselect".  You mentioned "Packages.gz" I remember reading something about
> that on one of my searches of the Debian web site but was unable to find it
> and do not really know what it is or what it is for.  Nothing is mentioned
> in the install manual concerning this that I can find.
>
> I am pretty stubborn and do not give up easy but this is getting a little
> frustrating.
>
> I need Debian for this install because it is the only one to still support
> floppies and that (in this case) is my only option
>
> Again any help you can provide is deeply appreciated.

Some notes that you will have to further pursue:

(1) Skipping dselect and running
       dpkg -i someDeb.deb
    might be the easiest thing.
(2) If you have access to a Debian box you might
       dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages
    and have all the debs in the pwd be listed in Packages.
(3) You can find Packages and Packages.gz at
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386, for
example.
    I do not know which directories are designated to have this file
and which
    do not but those files are found on CDs too.
(4) I believe it will be easier to copy files from the floppy to the
disk and
    work from there. It will let you work with > 1.44 MB files if/when
you will
    have to.