Exit behaviour of less

Previously, when exiting less, the displayed document remained on the
screen.  Since an apt-get upgrade (in testing), however, less now
restores the prior display to its window when it exits.

How do I change it back globally?  `export LESS="-X"` fixes it
per-user, but I want the old default back.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery