RE: DHCP and Adelphia Cablemodem (dhcpcd)

I'm responding to everyone in one message. The cablemodem setup still isn't
working. Commenting on each part individually:

[Donald]
> > ---snip---<
> > Also, ifconfig doesn't show eth0. When I was running
> DHCP-client, eth0 did
> > show up, but without an IP address (not even 0.0.0.0, which is
> what I was
> > lead to believe would happen).
> >

> This is not good.  No dhcp client will work if the NIC isn't there!  I
> would check and see if the NIC's driver module is being loaded (lsmod).
> You could also check the messages during bootup and see what is
> happening when it comes time for NIC detection.
>
> Have you turned off the "PnP OS" in your BIOS?
>
> If the NIC is NOT being recognized during bootup, you should add the
> appropriate "driver" module via using modconf so it will be properly
> initialized at boot time.  Once you consistantly get eth0 listed on an
> "ifconfig", then you can fine-tune the dhcpcd paramenters for your
> setup.
>
> When everthing is working properly, the "ifconfig" command should show
> your assigned IP from your ISP after a boot.

Unforutnately, the NIC works fine-- I replaced the cablemodem with a hub and
checked. This seems to have something to do with dhcpcd-- when I switched
back to a static IP address, this symptom persisted. I had to remove the
package to get eth0 back.

[Ian]
> 	I had Adelphia Powerlink for awhile also. I did it working with OS
> X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and RedHat. On redhat I used the pump utility. Sorry I
> don't remember the specifics. I also had it get my IP using DHCP
> on bootup.
> One snag you may run into is if you unplug the cat5 from one NIC to the
> next it won't work unless you completely turn off the modem, then plug the
> cat5 into the new NIC, and then restart the modem and let it resync. The
> modem uses the hardware address of the NIC for something. Power
> cycling the
> modem clears out this info. The guy who installed my cable was using
> Slackware with it so it must use some pretty standard tools found in all
> distros.

I tried this out-- I went back to a fixed IP address, removed DHCP, and it
worked-- for a few hours. So I powered down the modem and brought it back
up-- it worked for another couple hours before quitting again. I haven't the
slightest idea how to debug this, or what coudl cause it.

On another note, I seem to be having speed problems on this machine through
the cablemodem. I was getting blazing speeds when the win98 box was hooked
up to it, but now it is much slower. Much, much slower. The differences are:
New machine, linux instead of windows, and a different cable connection
(different location in house). Any idea on how to test where the bottleneck
is?

Thanks,
	Mike