Re: Newbie comments & queries

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 11:02:32AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> I chose Debian because of the GNU aspect,  out of sheer orneryness
> when everyone was telling me to take the easy route with Mandrake,
> Red Hat, or SuSe, and because i liked the name.  Not really
> sensible reasons I would agree! (except for the first one).

Welcome!

> I have just installed potato as a dual boot m/c (with dos) on a
> new (for me) Cyrix120 PC.  I did several installs to get the hang
> of it and recover from errors made. I have it installed with no
> packages selected from tasksel (except the final tasksel -s), just
> the plainest setup possible (Disks as Violet 2.2 from Obsidian
> systems here).

> 2.  I have read some of the HOWTO files particularly the one on
> printing.  This is a file ending in .gz and I cannot get it to
> print out. Do I have to extract that particular file out of the
> eng.txt first ? If so, how?

If indeed you have a very simple install, you will be
lacking some packages that would enable to use the
following programs:

program          package
zcat             gzip
less             less

I also found that the task-newbie-help package was
not installed unless you asked for it.

--
bjb@achilles.net