Re: [OT] Mutt Configuration

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 04:16:06PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:14:18PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> | On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:54:55AM -0600, Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:
> | > * calyth@shaw.ca (calyth@shaw.ca) babbled:
> | >
> | > this is how i do it:
> | > folder-hook .    my_hdr From: name <email@email.com>
> |
> | Again, that will only work if your MTA trusts you. Basically, the MTA
> | pulls the name from /etc/mailname and puts your username infront of it.
>
> I bet the MTA on my school's system doesn't trust me.  However, the
> "my_hdr From: <blah>" works just fine.  I too never quite got the
> "from" directive to work as I expected, but the "my_hdr" allows for
> customization of any (official or made-up) headers.

Yes - that's a very useful trick - the only other thing I'd come up with
is using 'E' to manually edit the headers - which achieves much the same
thing.

It seems that postfix (which I use here and on other systems) trusts
anyone by default - I've yet to come across any kind of configuration
for limiting the from addresses - it would appear that the /etc/mailcap
is used by default but postfix is happy to let anyone use anything else
if you actually specify it.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

The contents of this email are intended for the indicated recipient(s)
only. This may or may not be indicated in the above email as it is
enormously easy to fake email addresses (see the relevant RFCs).

For security reasons this email is likely to be gnupg signed. On the
other hand it may not be if I forgot to do so. In any case, if you
are reading this on a Windows based computer then there was no point
in me doing so (provided that I remembered) as your computer is most
likely being used by yourself and 2.8 other people at the same time
(normally without your consent).

No responsibility will be accepted by anyone for any of the contents
of this email. So tough. If in doubt, go compile Mozilla.