Video probs with Xpert98, Apple M1823, and Tyan S1854 Trinity 400

I've been having a frustrating problem with Linux and my video hardware.
Namely, the video has giant "margins" on both sides of the display area --
between 2-3 cm. It's not so severe at the top and bottom. I don't think this
is an X problem, because it seems that the video has the same problems at the
console. It looks ok under Windows (of course).

I upgraded to testing (Woody) from Progeny, but the problem remains. Also,
the SuSE "Live-eval" shows the same problem. I'm using kernel 2.4.

Anyone here have ideas for me?

Frank