Re: Annoying Mozilla behavior

Quoth Colin Watson,
> The mozilla in Debian stable and testing is really rather old. Let's
> hope we can get a new release out sometime soon and finally kill M18.

It's actually very easy to get and install the nightly builds into
/usr/local. If you want to actually use mozilla as your day-to-day
browser, newer builds are a lot less painful.

While it's something of an ugly hack, I use the following shell script
to download the most recent nightly when I feel like it. Of course,
you'll have to change the URL to your local mirror.

cheers,

damon

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/downloads
rm mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz.bak
mv mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz.bak
wget -t0 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/mozilla/mozilla/nightly/latest/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
rm -rf /usr/local/mozilla
tar xzvf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz -C /usr/local
ln -s /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/* /usr/local/mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.3/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/
ln -s /usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/[npr]* /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/

--
Damon Muller :: Department of Criminology :: University of Melbourne

Now this foreknowledge cannot be elicited from spirits;
it cannot be obtained inductively from experience,
nor by any deductive calculation.
Knowledge of the enemy's dispositions can only
be obtained from other men.
  -- The Art of War (Sun Tsu)