Re: PA-RISC / hppa installation & maturity information?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:09:27PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> A friend has stumbled across an HP 9000D330 system, 128MB, 12GB, three
> disks, and he's interested in running Debian/Woody on it.  I've poked
> around debian.org looking for some basic getting-started and
> installation instructions for the Debian hppa port, but can't find
> anything.
>
> I'd appreciate pointers on where this information can be found, and/or
> whether or not the port is sufficiently advanced for productive work, at
> least as a console-mode fileserver system.

Although I've never run Debian hppa myself ...

The hppa architecture is already part of testing, which is a good sign
that it's achieved some degree of maturity in terms of having 80-90% or
so of the archive built for it. It also has a functional set of
boot-floppies for woody.

Beware this, though:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/2001/debian-hppa-200110/msg00120.html

... so it might be best to wait a while, or use one of the released CD
images at http://www.parisc-linux.org/ rather than going for woody
directly. That web site will probably provide most of the documentation
you need. There's also http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/.