Re: cproto.deb for potato not available?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:12:39PM -0700, Kris Huber wrote:
> I'm wondering if a 'cproto' debian package is available for the Linux 2.2
> kernel.  I see one under 'unstable' but from what I read, application
> binaries need to be compiled for the kernel you are running.

No, there's no kernel dependency except for a small number of
specialized programs, which is unlikely to include cproto. In fact, the
cproto package from unstable should install fine on a stable system.

> Cproto has been around for several years; I'm surprised it's not there
> (so I suspect I'm wrong).

Judging from the changelog, it made it into unstable shortly before
potato was released, but too late to make it into that release.

> More generally, when binaries of a Debian package aren't available for my
> kernel, can I put another distribution (e.g., unstable) in my sources.list
> temporarily and do an 'apt-get sources' to compile an application for my
> kernel?

Don't worry about the kernel, but you might need it compiled against the
libraries you currently have installed. Yes. You can just change over
the deb-src lines rather than having to change everything.