RE: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12 -- Inching Closer

Did you 'make config' first? (or make menuconfig, etc?) Otherwise, you are
almost 100% sure to end up with an unusable kernel...

Also, with these options, in `make config`, you can press the `?` key (no
quotes) and it'll tell you what you need to do.

I *highly* suggest your installing at least the libncurses5-dev package and
running `make menuconfig` from your top-level kernel directory,however. it's
much more user-friendly, and you can go back and make changes.

I would also *highly* suggest following along in the kernel-howto as well,
while you're compiling your kernel for the first time.

And you may even find that you dont' need to recompile your kernel. Unless
you need to add device support that isn't in the stock progeny/debian
system, I'm not quite clear exactly why you need to recompile the kernel--
you can run a fine debian system on a 2.2 kernel. So there's no need to
worry that you're not 'fully upgraded' from progeny. Unless you have
specific hardware needs, or want something that's slightly smaller, or
whatever, I'd stick with the kernel you have, at least until you're more
familiar with linux systems in general.

glen