What to install now that Progeny is gone?

I've bult several machines in the past few months by:

1. Installing an absolute minimum potato release.
2. Folowing the Progeny "Upgrade to Progeny web page"
3. Installing the 24. kernel packages
4. Building a custom 2.4 kernel.

This has worked extremely well for me, as it gives me a nice set of user
defaults, and a reasonably modern syste. If I find any of the packages are
a nbit out of date, then I usually just build something a little more
current from source for that specific package.

Now I have several machines on order (Christmas presents), and I find that
Progeny is going waya, as a matter of fact the upgrade web page seems to
gone, and I did not keep a copy :-( Even thoguh thier stuff still seems to
be on thier webserver (since I update my packages list evrey day or so).

So, here's the question. Given that I want to build machines with fairly
moder user interafaces (read that as some recent version of Gnome) on these
new machines, and that I really just followed the cookbok deirections on
upgrading (meaning that I don't understand apt-get upgrade et all), what
should I plan on installing on these machines?

Thanks for any sugestions on this.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.