Re: Problems getting NIS working with debian

In article <[🔎] LqqSCC.A.s-.T4F37@murphy>,
Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com> wrote:
>I'v got a Debain potato + Progeney + 2.4.3 kernel on my home lan. All uer
>accounts on this are served via NIS. I am able to get the Debian box to
>bind, by runing ypbind 0broadcast (why is that not the default!).

Because it's completely insecure.

>Once I do
>that I can ypcat passwd, and se the correct password file. However an
>atempt to for example "su - amanda" Results in
>
>su: Authentication service cannot retireve authentication info.
>
>What other things do I have to tweak to make this machine co-operate with
>the others.

You have to read the documentation in /usr/share/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz
/usr/share/doc/<package> is the standard location for documentation.

><flame mode on>
>
>Why oh why is it so hard to get Debian/Linux to operate seamlessy in a
>mixed environment? In my case HP-UX FreeBSD, netBSD, OpenBSD.
>
><flame mode off>

NIS setup is exactly the same on all those platforms. You just
miss the knowledge to set it up. Which shouldn't be a problem
either since there's a step by step guide included. Which you
didn't care to read, instead you came here to flame.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.