Re: allowing root X apps

On 28 Oct 2001, John Hasler wrote:

> Justin R. Miller wrote:
> > What is the best, most secure way to allow root to run X-based apps
> > while I'm logged in as my non-privileged user?
>
> Not at all.  Such applications are not secure enough to be run as root.

Security isn't always such an issue. When I'm the sole user of my personal
machine that's off-line I have no use for the user/root divide from a
trust or security point of view, but I still log in as a regular user and
jump to root only when necessary just to reduce the chances of me doing
serious damage in error. So, Justin's question is reasonable, I think.

-- Mark