Re: NNTP proxy ?

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 12:49:37AM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Does anyone know if Debian currently has a NNTP proxy ? or some
> 	application that provides such functionality ?
>
> 	(or, alternatively is it possible to set up a local news server that
> 	simply relay's reads & posts via a news server on another machine ?)
>
> 	Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've not had much need to run an NNTP proxy (or cache) for a while.
But when I did, I seemed to have the best luck with 'nntpcache'. Was non-free
(and probably still is; restrictions on 'commercial use') but had source
and a rather responsive author.

On the other hand, if you simply need to proxy your NNTP connection
(due to firewalling/etc), you can probably wrap through a SOCKS proxy.
I've had pretty good luck socksify'ing pan at least.

--
Ferret

-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield top-secret government restricted data  information project  CIA
Microsoft terrorist Allah Natasha Gregori destroy destruct attack will own
Bill Gates sensitive directorate  TSP NSTD ORD DD2-N AMTAS STRAP warrior-T