Re: odd files in / after reboot

On 2001-10-28 21:10:39, Justin R. Miller wrote:
> Whenever I reboot, I get a file in / of the form /errsXXXXXX, where
> XXXXXX seems to be random characters.  I'm not sure if this is happening
> on shutdown or startup.  They are zero-length files owned by root with
> mode 600.  Any ideas?

No, but it would either be something running when you are shutting down
your system (ps should tell which processes you have running), being
executed by init as part of shutdown or startup (timestamp of the file
would be able to tell you which).  You could then manually try to start
or stop the services (binary search) or string the (binaries) involved
to see if any haev a "errs" in them.

Or even better, check if someone else have already seen the problem, a
quick usenet search revealed:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=/errs&hl=en&rnum=3&selm=997463277.452.52.camel%40work

/Allan
--