Re: detection of laptop video card

Cary Cherng said:
> The installation of debian can't detect my video card but I know
> "where" it is as in I can point it out after a "cat /proc/pci". Do
> I need to tell X where to find it or something?

what version of X? if its 3.3.6 try running XF86Setup(you may
need to use the keyboard to navigate it until you activate mouse
support). if that doesn't work try xf86config.

if its 4.x theres another way i believe its X -configure which
will automatically try to detect the card and create a config file
for it. you'll probably have to move the config file to /etc/X11 .
some cards may need some special driver in order to work right
(my IBM thinkpad t20 does).

some video chips may not work at all. check xfree86's website
for compadiblity. just be sure your looking at compadiblity that
corrisponds with the version of X that your using. also there
is a laptop AcceleratedX from Xinside. they have good support
for chips. but they aren't very compadible with debian, it does work
but it needs a workaround documented on their website.  but the
biggest downsides i found with AcceleratedX is no Xvideo support(can't
play DivXs! ack), and while there seemed to support software opengl, i
was able to load unreal tournament on my laptop but as soon as i
clicked a menu it crashed.
nate