Re: Newbie comments & queries

Ian Balchin wrote:

Hi,all,

I have just installed potato

Potato is stable, but there's a lot of changes between Potato and Sid (with Woody being between them), expecially as regards X version 3 version X v.4. You might want to consider pointing your /etc/apt/sources.list file to sid instead of stable (except for the security-related line(s)). This is not something you'd do on a production machine (because stable is, well, stable, and sid is not - changing very often, often introducing bugs, etc); but I've found sid to be stable enough for my purposes, and that way I get all the new stuff that is more likely to have support for that esoteric video or sound card, etc.

as a dual boot m/c (with dos) on a new (for me) Cyrix120 PC.

<snip>

I am not that experienced with unix, am just doing this as a learning experience. Eventually I want to use the machine for dial up and desktop applications as an alternative to Windows, but have not yet installed Xwindows, gnome, or dialup packages, so am only playing at the prompt at this stage.

Excellent.

Is there a FAQ to this list or can i ask away? I have scoured the online documentation given with the install process for an easy answer to my problems with no luck, so here goes.

Search the Debian mailing list archives, google, and dogpile; that'll get you a pretty good solution in many cases.

1. The old machine had a sound card after all. How can I configure that without another reinstall?

Depends on the card? If it's a PCI card, the command (as root) "lspci" will list all the PCI devices, including the sound card. That'll be the first step (there are more, but without knowing what card you have it'd be counter-productive to go any farther with this explanation at this point). If it's an ISA card, good luck. It can be done, but it just got more complex.

2. I have read some of the HOWTO files particularly the one on printing. This is a file ending in .gz and I cannot get it to print out. Do I have to extract that particular file out of the eng.txt first ? If so, how?

.gz means that it's a compressed file. You should be able to "zless filename.gz" it, which will run a "compression-aware less" on it. "less" is a better (IMHP) alternative to "more", which is a one-screen-at-a-time viewer for text files. "cat" displays the contents of a file; "more" or "less" does the same thing only a screen-full at a time; helpful on big files.

3. I note that my selections for lp (port 0x378 & irq7) during initial install resulted in a failure; even with no entry on the line it was also a failure. Why would that be?

Do you have the lp port turned off in the BIOS, or set to some weird non-standard settings. I believe that as a general rule Linux ignores BIOS settings, but still, it's something I'd look into.

5. I see that my SiS6215 video card is listed on the Xfree86 site as a supported card, but it was not detected in the initial install. xviddetect does not now detect it properly, listing it as maybe a SiS 82C204 along with other possibilities. I declined to write the xwin (?) config file on the last install as it would not detect the video card and came up with error 111 when i tried to write it previously. What do I do now? It detects a borrowed Trident TGUI9440 OK but maybe I can't keep that.

I hated setting up X version 3. X v.4 seems to me much easier; that's a lot of the reason I went to tracking sid instead of stable.

6. My PS2 mouse does not work on this machine (not in dos either, so maybe the port is broken) so how do I change this to a plain serial mouse? In XF86Setup I cannot get the serial mouse to go with _any_ settings either.

Unless you have a specific DOS-driver for a PS/2 mouse, the DOS test is probably meaningless. If you do have a DOS driver, that means you probably have a hardware problem. Again, check the BIOS to make sure the PS/2 mouse is turned on and set to normal settings.

Install gpm and run gpmconfig to figure out your mouse for the console; once you've done that, you can move on to getting it set up in X.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction here. (I am now sort-of vi competent so can edit files OK).

Thanks

Ian

   Ian Balchin
   Grahamstown, South Africa.