Re: Getting Grub to Recognize Kernel Update to 2.4.12

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:44, Doc - KD4E wrote:

> > > "make-kpkg" causes error:
> > > "su: make-kpkg: command not found"
> > > Now what, please?
> >
> > You need to install the packages "kernel-package" and "fakeroot".
>
> I ran "apt-get install fakeroot" and that went fine.  I have no idea what
> its purpose is ... I have read about "fakeroot" but am unclear as to its
> need
> to resolve my current problem ... can you explain, please?

The idea is to use the following command to build a kernel package:
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1000 kernel_image

Fakeroot means that any chown() or chmod() system calls will appear to work
(and stat() system calls will show them to have worked) even though you are
not root.

Type the following as an exercise (from a non-root account):
fakeroot bash
touch abc
ls -l abc
exit
ls -l abc

> I notice that GRUB is looking for "linux-2.4.12.gz", at least according to
> one example.  That file was not created when I ran the tar -wvvzf.

It's looking for a compiled kernel not the source.

> It looks as though I need to figure out how to create a "linux-2.4.12.gz"
> file from my "linux-2.4.12.tar.gz" (currently in /usr/src), in /boot for
> GRUB.
> Yes?

Yes, you need to compile your kernel.  I recommend that you go to an
install-fest or a user group meeting to get advice on this.  I think that you
need more advice than can be given in email.