frequent segfaults on fsck at boot (ext2 fs)

I have been having alot of trouble with one of our machines, a K7 on a K7V133 motherboard, with an LVD 10,000 RPM Seagate Cheetah on an adaptec 19160 LVD controller.  Upon almost every boot, at least one of the four partitions on /dev/sda will balk at fsck, forcing me to run e2fsck as root before resuming the boot process.  A number of complex problems have been experienced; I would like to ask for some suggestions as to where to seek information that might help lead to identification and resolution of the underlying problem.  I am not quite sure where to seek information or assistance on troubleshooting hardware problems through GNU/Linux boot messages.

I had similar problems (segfaulting of e2fsck over and over until a fs was unuseable).  I removed one of the two DIMM memory modules; the problem had seemed to resolve when Debian potato was reinstalled, and upgraded through up-to-date sid.  Indeed, Matrox G450 dual headed configuration worked fine.

But all along, there have been little inexplicable segfaults, using apt-get or dpkg, and other times.  OFTEN the dpkg config files, either /var/lib/dpkg/status or /var/lib/dpkg/available would be corrupted.  I wonder whether this results after extensive, repeated fscks.  I have had to edit these files by hand, removing upper ASCII chars.

Eventually, I changed over to the other memory module, and again, things seemed fine.  For a while.  Although I had the usual (or, in this case, I suppose I ought to say extraordinary) "unstable" instabilities.  I've had a lot of galeon segfaults, and netscape started freezing up.  I can't say anything about why.  However, the need to restart the system without shutting down leads again to multiple e2fscks and perhaps further rotting of the filesystems.

At this point I suspect a SCSI HDD or adapter problem.  I added the second memory mod back in.  I cannot say anything has improved.

One characteristic problem, that has started to recur, is segfaults during e2fscks with extensive error messages including register dumps.  Dpkg and apt-get also segfault.

I plan to upgrade to the ext3 fs, to hopefully get around the need for so many fscks.  However, I cannot get linux-2.4.13.tar.gz cleanly onto my machine using wget, after three attempts. Each time, tar gives a message part of the way through about wrong header types.

Am I looking at a bad SCSI drive?

Thank you, if you have read this far!

Alan Davis

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)