LILO

OK I have lilo set up and everything.  I put the entry for windows 98 into
lilo.conf.  I upgraded to the lastest version of lilo in testing.  And now I
cant change the mbr.  I run lilo after editing lilo.conf, but after I reboot
lilo only has linux as its options.  The new entry for win98 doesnt show up.
Also apt wont install x or anything related to it.  I got kde installed, but
when ever I do apt-get task-x-windows-system (or whatever it is) it says it
the pakage doesnt exist.  Also I try going into apt-cache search efree86.
It returns a pakage, but I get the same pakage doesnt exist error.  I am
reading the pakage lists and everything, but apt wont get certain pakages.
It just says they dont exist.  I think it my have something to do with
apt-get update.  It always complains about not getting all the indexes.  I
do have the latest version of apt and all other relevant pakages.  I did a
dist-upgrade to testing.  I am totally confused as to why this wont work
properly.  Thank you for any help.