Re: Some routing advice (connecting through SSH)

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 03:07, George Karaolides wrote:

> Sorry again, I didn't get exactly what you were trying to do from
> your first message.

That's alright. If some people were thinking that, it's best I had the
opportunity to clarify.

> Now to determine some more facts about the network geometry.  I assume
> that machine R at your institution has one interface connected to the
> Internet, with a public IP address, and one on the institution's LAN with
> a private IP address.

Just one public IP address. But after Code Red they unilaterally
firewalled all incoming connections, even to the Dept's web servers!
(something I had to alert people about). I'm not serving public content
on this machine.

It's well firewalled locally (iptables). I'm pretty sure no one will be
able to connect from anywhere else (I'm employing IP address checking,
port blocking and of course password protection). Ping is global but
that's because I believe people should be able to check if a machine
connected to a public IP address is functioning.

> Also, that the services you want to access are also on the institution's LAN.

I think access to services is determined by network card mac address.

Thanks also to the two other people (Dan and Hans) who recommended a
proxy server. I'm not sure how that would work beginning with an SSH
connection.

Regards,
Adam