Re: error opening mixer

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:36:41PM +0200, Martin Kacerovsky wrote:
> > calypso:/home/stephen# ls -al /dev/mixer0
> > crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Oct 24 11:44 /dev/mixer0
> > calypso:/home/stephen#
> >
> > to my untrained eye, this appears normal.  anyone have any ideas as to
> > what i may be doing wrong?  (incidentally, alsamixer produces the same
> > error -- which, under the circumstances, is no big surprise).
>
> Hi, try chmod 666 /dev/mixer0, or chmod 777 /dev/mixer0

1)  Audio devices don't need execute perms.  They should be 660, not
770.

2)  Making it world-accessible lets anyone (like, say, that script
kiddie who cracked a CGI and is now using www-data's privileges) get
at your sound card and play rude sounds through it.  Or record any
audio source hooked into it.  Including a microphone, if one is hooked
up.  If it's a permission problem, make sure the relevant user is a
member of the audio group.  (And, given that this particular error is
occurring during the boot sequence, it's not likely to be a
permission problem.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery