Re: exporting /usr NFS for small network

In article <[🔎] 3274.63.121.110.34.1003968207.squirrel@webmail.aphroland.org>,
nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
>best thing i can reccomend is just to test it out. the biggest
>drawback to nfs on linux is it seems very unreliable. up until
>recently i had my /home mounted via nfs to another system on
>the local lan at home(100mbit 48port switch). my machine was the
>only one using it. quite often it would error out. i wouldn't
>be able to load programs and when i tried 'cd' i would get
>". not a directory". until i killed X and logged in on the console
>and unmounted/remounted the partition. for less used partitions it
>was never an issue. on /home it happened at least a few dozen
>times, on /usr/local which was also nfs it only happened once.

We've been using several NFS servers and dozen of clients for
years on Linux and never saw this problem. NFS is rock-stable.

>both
>systems running linux 2.2.19 using kernel nfs server. at first

Ah. I've tried the kernel nfs server once or twice but it was
never as stable as the user-level nfs server. We're still using
the user-level NFS server everywhere. That does mean no
version 3 and no file-locking, but we haven't needed that yet.

There is one issue. dpkg-source -x <package> sometimes doesn't
work. Probably has something to do with deleting or renaming
files that are open and then recreating the same filename.

>i thought it was a reiserfs problem as ive heard nfs issues with that

Yes, reiser in combination with kernel NFS is asking for trouble,
if it even works in the first place. Well I don't use reiser at
all, I'm still not convinced of its reliability.

>but i reformatted ext2 and it had the same problem(maybe moreoften too).

Weird. So the kernel level NFS server is still not 100% reliable?

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.