Re: problems installing 2.4 kernel

Mark Carroll wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
(snip)

I have an AMD K6-II. "uname -a" identifies it as i586.

(snip)

That may say more about what processor your kernel was compiled for than
what processor it's actually running on. Does /proc/cpuinfo get it right?

/proc/cpuinfo identifies AMD K6(tm) 3D processor. The kernel I'm using is 2.4.9 compiled for i386. When I tried the stock 2.4.9-k6 kernel-image package or compiled the kernel for k6 myself, I was never able to get the kernels to boot. I'm running woody by the way.

--
Jerome