Re: 100hz in Xfree86-4.1?

Hi Victor,

Victor Julien wrote:

> I recently bought a monitor capable of doing 1280x960x100hz, but X uses 85hz.
> Now i was wondering how i can tell X to use 100hz instead.

XFree86 4 queries the monitor to find out which modes it supports.
However, your monitor only answers with some standardized modes (VESA
defined, IIRC), because the number of possible modes would be extremely
large.

You can still tell X 4 manually which mode to use, by specifying an
explicit modeline for any given resolution, though.  This works by
adding a MODE subsection to a MONITOR section or specify the Modeline
directly in a MONITOR section.  See "MONITOR SECTION" in `man
XF86Config`.

BTW, if you have your console running at your wanted resolution via the
framebuffer, you can use `fbset -x` to get a nicely formatted MODE
section for your XF86Config.

HTH,
Viktor
--