Re: Add a new module to kernel?

Thus spake Michael Fontenot:

>  If I need a new module (one that I didn't know
>  about when I did my initial Debian install), do
>  I have to build a new kernel to get that module,
>  or can I just install the module now somehow?
>
>  Specifically, I want to be able to do java development.
>  I did an apt-get of jdk1.1-native and jdk1.1-native-dev
>  (from stable).  The debian FAQ says:
>
>    "Debian's default kernel is configured with Java support
>     built in as a module...You need to make sure the module
>     is loaded.  You can do it at boot time by inserting the line
>     binfmt_java in the file /etc/modules."
>
>  I did that, but on reboot it couldn't find binfmt_java.  I tried
>  to apt-get binfmt_java, but it couldn't find it.
>
>  I suspect that during installation I failed to specify that I
>  wanted java support, so that binfmt_java isn't included
>  in my kernel.  If so, is there any way to add it now, or
>  do I have to build a new kernel? (On installation, I
>  opted for the "vanilla" kernel, 2.2r3").
>
> Or, is it possible that java support is now compiled
> directly into the kernel (i.e., is no longer a module)?
>
>      Mike Fontenot
>     mlfasf@home.com

Modules aren't apt-gettable, unfortunately, but it's fairly painless to
make a new one available.
cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig (or menuconfig)

Now here's the interesting part - I'musing 2.4.12, and I no longer have
any sources for 2.2, so YMMV - following is from 2.4.x series.

Go to General Setup
There should me an option for "kernel support for java" - slectthis as a
module.  (On 2.4.x it's something else, but I'm guessing this is right)
Save & exit
make clean
make dep
make modules
make modules_install
insmod binfmt_java

Good to go - I hope.
Good luck,
Steve

--
It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire.
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)