Re: How do I find out what packages I have currently installed?

--- Kai Sterker <ksterker@geekmail.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've got a question concerning Debian I found no
> answer for in the
> manuals; perhaps you can help me:
>
> Is it possible to see what packages I have
> installed, so I can

dpkg -l > packages.`date +%Y%m%d`

Note that is a lowercase L not a 1. This will list all
of the packages and write the output to a file named
packages.$TODAYS_DATE where $TODAYS_DATE is in the
form of yyyymmdd. As to the rest, someone else will
have to answer.

> (a) download all of them in one go and
> (b) reinstall exactly those package after erasing
> all of my HD
>
> For example, if I make dist-upgrade, I guess only
> those packages are
> downloaded that are no longer up-to-date on my box,
> which might not be all.
>
> Even if all packages would be downloaded, I wouldn't
> know how to make sure
> that all of them are installed when I do a fresh
> setup _without_ manually
> selecting every single package.
>

> For example, SuSE allows to save a package
> configuration (to a floppy disk
> among others). And when doing a new install, I can
> load that config from the
> disk, so I need not go through package selection
> again. Is something similar
> possible with Debian too?
>
> Thing is, I'll have to completely erase my HD, and I
> want to minimize the
> time to setup everything to my liking afterwards.
>

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Kai
>

> --

=====