Re: Problems configuring /etc/network/interfaces

Charles Bray wrote:
> Strangely (to me), if I comment out the "auto lo" line in
> /etc/network/interfaces and reboot, I can then successfully ping the
> loopback address, indicating that the interface has been automatically
> activated.  (So "auto lo" is evidently shutting it down.  I wish I could
> find more thorough instructions for configuring
> /etc/network/interfaces.)

I hope you've read the interfaces(5) man page.

This is a really strange problem you're having. You shouldn't need to
add a route to the lo interface to be able to ping it. At least that's
been the case as long as I can remember. What version of the kernel do
you have?

You can run the following command, which will bring up the lo interface
the same way as it would if you hadn't commented out 'auto lo', and will
also print out the commands it executes:

root@silk:~>ifup -v lo
Configuring interface lo=lo (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
run-parts /etc/network/if-up.d

Presumably, if this messes up pinging loopback just as does 'auto lo',
then one of those commands is the real culprit. You could experiment and
find out which, and get a little nearer to figuring out what the real
problem is.

--
see shy jo