[slightly OT] Emacs21 new features (was Re: kudos)

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:36:48PM -0500, DvB wrote:
> This may be taking this thread a little OT, but I have to ask... I've
> heard (on Slashdot, to be exact) that Emacs21 has some "new user
> oriented" features that can be annoying for more experienced users. What
> are they? (assuming there really are any) and just how annoying are
> they?

I'm a fairly experienced user (since 1988) and I'm used to doing lots
of customization, but I've not noticed anything annoying so far. What
has been very impressive is that things just work. On previous major
upgrades (18 > 19 > 20) a lot of the customization (and the added .el
files) would stumble and fall. Not this time.

Among all the new features, the new shell (eshell) is especially nice.

Jim