Re: Progeny->Woody Upgrade Alternatives?

Looking at the recommendations for the upgrade on the Progeny site, I wonder if
the noted specific install of modutils/modconf is what is necessary to correct
this PCMCIA problem (i.e. at which point you would have to run modconf and
specifically make sure the module for PCMCIA is getting loaded in).

I've got Progeny on my notebook right now, and hoping to do the update to Woody
in the next week or so...but holding off right now until I know that I won't
have any seriously insurmountable problems like this one...

On 22-Oct-2001 Doc - KD4E wrote:
>> Progeny to Woody howto
>> http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=450
>
> Been using that one.  It is incomplete since it fails to mention the
> trashing
> of pcmcia, among other things.
>
>> Progeny to unstable
>> http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=414
>>     scott
>
> Now this is interesting.  Why is it simpler than the Progeny->Woody
> upgrade?
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Tips 'n' Tricks: Progeny->Sid sidegrade
> Posted by DanielS on Tuesday, October 02 @ 11:19:55 BST (773 reads)
>
>  Having now done 2 Progeny->sid sidegrades, it's quite easy. All you need is
> the latest Debian unstable sources in your sources.list and nothing else
> (well,
> non-US, but that's it). Now, type:
>
># apt-get update
># dpkg --purge --force-deps libfreetype6
># apt-get -f dist-upgrade
> You may need to do this a couple of times, but just doing it once worked for
> me,
> though I've only tried this on two machines. It's quite a good way to
> install Debian,
> if you hate the installer.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> How much "trouble" might I run into by choosing Unstable rather than
> Testing?
>
> Can the same commands be used to update from Testing? (If I did so am I
> likely
> to end up in the same place ... with no pcmcia functionality?)
>
> Meanwhile I have given up rescuing PCMCIA from the Progeny->Woody update.
> Am reinstalling Progeny for the 4th time in a matter of days so may once
> again
> access my pcmcia nic and ADSL.  Sigh.
>
> With Progeny up I can try whatever command set seems most suitable to the
> task of a kernel-woody-pcmcia upgrade that all plays nice together!
>
> Thanks!  Doc
>

> --

---------------------------------------
Arlen Carlson <arlencarlson@yahoo.com>

The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,
Are of imagination all compact...
                -- Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

                        -o)
                        /\\
                       _\_v