Re: upgrading strategy

Aurelio Turco wrote:

Of all the Linux Distributions, Debian is said to have the most advanced packaging system.
I regard the packaging system as very important. So, I will be installing Debian (probably 2.2r2, from CD).
But before I do that, I would like to clarify what the recommended upgrade strategy is.
I mean: After installing a (recent) Debian (stable) distribution, how should one keep it up to date?

If I have understood the docs correctly:

  1: Do "apt-get update", to update the packages list.
      Do this before any of 2,3,4 below.

  2: Do "apt-get install a_particular_package", to upgrade or newly install a particular package.
      Do this to upgrade or newly install individual packages as needed.

  3: Do "apt-get upgrade", to upgrade all packages for which a newer version is available.
      Do this periodically between Debian releases (be they major, minor or point/revision).

  4: Do "apt-get dist-upgrade", to upgrade the distribution as a whole (to the latest release).
      Do this as soon as a new Debian release (be it major, minor or point/revision) becomes available.

  5: Install again from scratch, to upgrade to a new release.
      Do this only if your installed release is too far behind the release you wish to upgrade to.

Any confirming/correcting of the above conclusions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Aurelio.

note on dist-upgrade -- sometimes you have a series of dist-upgrade/dist-upgrade/upgrade/upgrade to get all the dependencies taken care of. This makes sense if you think about it -- sometimes you want things to install in a certain order.