LILO won't boot after dist-upgrade to testing - HELP!

Hi,

I tried to dist-upgrade to woody, but the new LILO will not boot my system
anymore.

As a precaution I had LILO set up to be able to boot the current kernel
(2.4.10),
the previous one (2.2.19pre17) and also a copy of my old Potato installation
on hda2.

After I've installed the 2.4.10 kernel package I've tried to reboot but LILO
would
display something like LILO 2.15 and then a lot of dots and then simply
reset the PC
(I presume after the kernel was loaded.)

I then selected my previous kernel, which booted just fine, so I thought
that it might be
a problem with the generic kernel. (It qas quite serious about some initrd
to be put in LILO.
I've did that, but maybe not correctly. Allthough I've followed it's
instruction.)

I've installed the kernel source and compiled and installed the kernel
useing kernel package.
Then rebooted, and now I'm not able to boot any of the LILO images.
Not the new one, not the previous one and not even the backup copy of my
potato.
They all just reset.

I'm desperately looking for the reason/solution!
Many thanks in advance for any help!
regards,
Balazs