Unable to connect to X server

Hello folks,

I have just joined this list in the hope that you can sort me out ;-)
And you have probably seen this request many times before, but I am still
learning.

I have just upgraded to XFree86 V4* from V3* using apt-get from the french
mirror.

When I boot I get left at the prompt instead of KDM running the X server, if I
try and run it myself with startx I get the following:-

X: exec of /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 failed
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

I have -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1722386 Oct 21 02:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
and    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 21 01:40 /etc/X11/X ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

Can you tell me what to do to get this running please and remember I dont know
a lot about Linux in general yet. ;-)

Best Wishes,

--
John

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein
mail: chaos@lamiga.screaming.net http://www.lordofchaos.co.uk ICQ 110130385
Nick = Chaos A1200 BlizzardPPC 240mhz 060/50 BlizzardVision OS3.9
Supporting Magnum Opus -  http://www.magnumopus.co.uk