Can't find ide-cd at power down

Since a recent upgrade (sync'd with "testing"), just about the last thing
my machine says when powering down is that modprobe can't locate module
ide-cd, hdc: drive not present. (kernel 2.2.19)

This is odd. I can modprobe ide-cd and other modules without problems
normally. The problem, I think, is that it's doing so after unmounting the
root filesystem, so it can't read /lib/modules. Why has it started trying
to do this?

(hdc is indeed an ATAPI CD-RW which I normally access via ide-scsi.)

-- Mark