Problem with Gnome Filetypes & Programs on Woody+

I have tried a few Debian, Progeny, Storm and Libranet installs. On each I
can successfully set up file associations for GMC using the Filetypes and
Programs option in Control Center. As soon as I upgrade to Woody or
Unstable, I can't. I can go through the motions of assigning an
application and icon in Control Center, but it has no effect on the actual
file icons. When I try and open them I get the application chooser, and my
chosen icon is not displayed.

When this has happened with basic desktop icons in the past I have deleted
the file ~/.gnome/metadata.db and this has curied the problem. This does
not help with this particular problem. I have even tried renaming/moving
~/.gnome altogether. I have even created a new user and still I can't set
up the associations.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I use Debian Gnome of Ximian Gnome.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux

/"\