Re: default fonts too small

on Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:54:28AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker (jwbaker@acm.org) wrote:
> I installed a fresh Debian on a new PC and it has a problem that I haven't
> noticed with my other installs.  The default fonts in many applications
> are WAY too small.  For instance, the tooltips in sawfish are an
> unreadable blur.  In Motif applications, the fonts are all 6pt which is
> entirely too small.  Motif buttons are completely unreadable.

Try playing with order and/or commenting of 100 and 75 DPI fonts.
You're likely going to want 100dpi selected given 121dpi resolution
(below).

> What controls the default font size for these applications?  My screen
> is 121dpi and I have all the scalable fonts I can get my hands on.  X
> is properly configured and xdpyinfo shows the correct screen size and
> resolution.

There are numerous places to configure fonts.  If the above doesn't do
it for you, you can play with X resources for most of your base apps,
and the appropriate GNOME and/or KDE resources configuration for these
desktops if you use them.

> I'm looking for a global equivalent to gtkrc for non-GTK applications.  I
> tried putting this in my Xresources:
>
> *Font:  -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> and ran xrdb -merge but it didn't help at all.

What does

    $ xrdb -query

...show?

Peace.