Re: debian hangs during boot (at fsck stage)

You might want to enter

    init=/bin/sh

at the lilo prompt (assuming you have lilo) in order to skip the system
initializations and check that partition manually with the file system
debug/repair tools.

This doesn't look to me a UDMA matter since other partitions on the
same disk (hde) are flawless.
What stuff was there? /usr? /var?