Re: virtual newbie needs help with lib (?)

sam rosenfeld wrote:
When I installed my current (debian-2.2r2) distribution, I think I
unconsciously chose a reduced version -- that is, with a smallish subset
of the files on the CD-rom.  I may also have chosen a much too small set
of lib files.  The problem:  After downloading files from the net (just
about any files, any URLs), I cannot compile the programs.  One issue -- I
I have libc-6.1.something, and most of the programs I've downloaded in the
past few months want a post-6.2 libc.  However, many of my attempts to
compile end with error messages that mention a variety of other dependency
files which cannot be found by the make or build.

The question:  Is it a good idea to reinstall, possibly with debian-2.2r3,
which I can easily get?  And is reinstallation likely to cure my condition?

Thanks.

s.

Debian stable uses libc6-2.1.3. Testing/woody and unstable/sid use libc6-2.2.4.

Don't reinstall with debian-2.2r3; apt-get update & apt-get upgrade will get you the most current debian stable packages. If you need the libc-2.2.4, you may want to do a dist-upgrade to woody.
--
Jerome