Re: virtual newbie needs help with lib (?)

Have you tried using dselect and/or dpkg and/or apt-get instead of compiling
things manually?  Those will handle dependencies for you so if you don't have
the correct lib file, it will download it automatically for you.

Much, much easier than trying to compile everything yourself from source.
Debian's package manager solution is one of the key strengths of Debian as a
distro -- you're missing out if you're not using it.

--kurt