xchat problems

Hi,

I have compiled xchat 1.8.4, and notice that the first time I launch it
works fine.  However, when I go to exit and launch again, there is no
serverlist.

I have tried the following:
 1)  rm -rf .xchat    << this worked, except that all the rest of my
 settings go away...
 2)  chmod 400 .xchat/serverlist.conf << did not work...serverlist was
 full, but still no list in xchat

I have also ldd'd /usr/local/bin/xchat, and noticed that only 16
libraries were linked to it.  The regular is about 20 to 26.  I have the
libraries that xchat typically looks for, i.e. libdb3, but it is not
linked.  Must I have the dev. packages for all the libs i want linked by
xchat?  Anyone else have this same problem and fixed it?

Thanks,
Rohan