Re: upgrading to Woody, apt-utils question

Hi,

I've noticed this problem too.. And because I had so much problems getting X
to start, I tried another distro. When (in the other distro) I found the
problem why my X wouldn't start (which was quite trivial), I installed
debian again, and this time I did it the right way.

First I installed potato, I upgraded to kernel 2.4.12 without any problems
because I guess potato now has those packages needed to run kernel 2.4.x
too. Then I rebooted and added the apt-sources for woody. I FIRST did a
apt-get install apt-utils .20 MB of packages where downloaded for this.
AFTER that I did a dist-upgrade with totally no problems.

So I guess this is just a bug in the dist-upgrade process. To fix this now,
you'll have to install apt-utils and maybe do some "apt-get --reinstall
install packagename" for all packages that where not configured the right
way. You might also try "dpkg-reconfigure packagename" on some packages.
Maybe you could even force a complete reinstall of the dist-upgrade by doing
a apt-get --reinstall dist-upgrade, but I didn't test that.

Bastiaan Huisman
bhuisman@sci.kun.nl
http://www.student.kun.nl/b.huisman