Gnome panel not showing up

I did an install of the potato kernel and selected packages.  I chose
enlightenment and gnome under X11, which I've used before under kernel 2.4.
My version of gnome is a bit older (at least control panel is).  I'm puzzled
why I don't have a panel across the bottom of the desktop.  I think it is
gnome-panel which does that, but although that package is installed, I don't
have the panel, and there are no menu options related to the panel and it's
maintenance (add new apps to lauch from it, etc.)  Any clues?

Thanks,
Kris