RE: Debian from source

On 19-Oct-2001 Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=452
>
> I like this concept...maybe an apt-src tool that's like apt-get but does
> build-dep, makes everything and goes the extra mile to install the
> resulting deb and optionally clean up source and debs, a la apt-get
> would be nice.

The newer apt's can automatically handle build-depends and build the package on
download.  Only thing left would be to delete the package requested (and
optionally the build-depends).

Which raises the issue.  Most multi package sources have some scary
build-depends.  Not sure I would want this on my box.  Then you run into making
a chroot to compile in for each new package which is what the build daemons for
Debian do (sort of).  What I am saying here is this sounds easy but in practice
the easy solution is not the one you want.

-----
We have buried the putrid corpse of Liberty. -- Benito Mussolini