Re: backup to CD

On Friday 19 October 2001 03:59, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> Check out Mondo.  There is also a script that was written and
> put out on the list a few months back that tarred/gzipped to a
> directory and then burned the tars onto CD you you wished.
>
> Lance
>
> > > I would like to periodically (weekly ?) backup my /etc
> > > (around 8 megs) and some (not all) of my  /home
> > > directories.
> > >
> > > Can I setup some task to perform such backups on the CD
> > > (multiple sessions ? multiple files ?) until it's filled
> > > up ?

http://www.smithconcepts.com/files/scripts/

Take a look at the back2cd script on this page.  One of the guys
at my LUG wrote it.  I've been using it for a few months now for
the same type of things you're talking about.  The only catch is
it's written in the c shell and it uses bzip2 for compression so
make sure you have those installed.  You may also have to adjust
the path to the c shell on line 1 (He wrote it on redhat and I
think their path to the c shell is different.

HTH,
Jesse