Partition

I am about to install debian on a 4 gig hard drive.  I have looked around at
How-tos and other documentation.  But I have been unable to find any solid
sugestions on how to size the partitions.  All of them give one or two vague
recomedations, and say that there are many wars about the proper way to do
it.  I also remember reading something about having to size a partition
larger because of apt's cache.  I would apreciate any advice on the debian
size of partitions.  I would value something more along the lines of
percentages of the drive that a partition should occupy for each part of the
directory tree.  But any help would be apreciated.  Oh I plan on useing this
system as my every day system.  No servers running except those that are
nesecary.  One, possibly two users.  I will be doing development on it.  If
there is any debian documentation out there on these recomendations I would
value the link.  Thank you in advance.