Re: X in Woody: you gotta be fscking kidding!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:01:25PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> * martin f krafft (madduck@madduck.net) spake thusly:
> > * Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> [2001.10.17 19:26:37-0500]:
> > > Hi boys and girls,
> > > anyone can tell me what the fuck is that dexconf crap and how do I
> > > get rid of it? I mean, really, which genius came up with the idea
> > > that I need to regenerate a perfectly working config file every time
> > > I update $PACKAGE?
> >
> > i think you messed up debconf. try
> >   dpkg-reconfigured debconf
>
> dpkg-reconfigured: command not found. Neither is dpkg-reconfigure.
> Any other suggestions?

daniel@tsubasa:~% dpkg -S dpkg-reconfigure
debconf: /usr/share/man/man8/dpkg-reconfigure.8.gz
debconf: /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure

Hm. So you're telling me that you've answered debconf questions, yet you
don't have debconf installed? That's pretty weird.

How'd you manage that?

> IIRC debconf configuration asks you about priority of the messages
> you wish to see, and whether to repeat old questions over and over
> again. I don't remember seeing anything about disabling dexconf in
> there.

Yes, that's what debconf asks you.

> Anyway, I'll just chmod/chattr the file to buggery, let's see if
> that POS manages to overwrite that. That's the kind of thing I'd
> do in windoze... congratulations, Debian!

Oh, cool! Where can I get chmod and chattr for Windows? That would
actually be really handy.

> > > Jeesus F. Christ... it could at least ask me if I *really* want to
> > > overwrite XF86Config-4...
> >
> > it does!
>
> And I'm pretty sure I said "no".

I find it interesting how you're the only one with this problem.
Everyone else, including me, has a fine X configuration that never gets
overwritten while upgrading.

> > now please watch your language a little, cause some people consider
> > things ...
> > offensive.
>
> They are welcome to killfile me. I chose the language that adequately
> conveyed my emotional state after I found out I lost my XF86Config-4,
> thanks to dexconf's half-assed attempt to be luser-friendly.

That's like saying "Well, I killed that guy, because that's what
adequately conveyed my emotional state! I mean, come ON guys, I was
*pissed* *off*!". Not the best excuse for abusive language here. (Which,
BTW, is not the best way to Make Friends And Influence People).

> As far as I'm concerned there's only one reason to auto-reconfigure X:
> we're installing new version that comes with incompatible config file
> (there's also hardware upgrade, but that's not "auto-"). IIRC dexconf
> kicks in *every* time whatever-package is updated.

Maybe for you, sure.

> Besides, the fscking thing isn't even smart enough to realise that if
> xfs-tt is installed and plain xfs is not, it should not add a fontpath
> to port 7100 -- among the other things.

Then UTSL. There's a reason why the source is open and
Free-with-a-capital-F. Feel free to file a wishlist bug on the
appropriate package, with a patch, to change this behaviour. Oh! But
wait! Wouldn't that require stomping your config file every time? And
what if I add xfs-tt and remove xfs, without reconfiguring/updating X?
Gosh, it still wouldn't work.

> And IME X v.4 is very easy to configure, it's not like you need to
> calculate modelines on a piece of paper anymore. Plus, X folks are
> working on a proper config software AFAIK.

You work out your own modelines? Oh, and "working on" is "working on".
You're not even *trying* to suggest it, so why'd you bring it up?

> So, we have a Piece Of Software, called dexconf, that
> a) is not needed,

It's very useful for newbies. If you're still asking for dexconf's
removal, you've just volunteered to manually write config files for
every single Debian user. Congratulations! (ding ding ding!) Would you
like to come back on Monday to play for the new car?

> b) does not work, and

You never said that it doesn't work. AFAICS it creates working
configurations.

> c) cannot be turned off,

The answer here starts with P, ends with K, and has EBCA inbetween. If
you can't even start up dpkg-reconfigure, then I suggest you stop using
Debian now. Run, don't walk.

> all because we want lusers to be happy (according to dexconf(8)).
> Sheesh, if I wanted a luser-friendy distro I could install deadrat
> or something...

So try Slackware or LFS or something. Clearly we should remove all
semblance of usefulness from Debian, because we have some random elite
dude flaming away to -devel ...

-d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<BenC> Bush just lost my vote for a second term