Evolution - sorta fixed.

I had been having troubles with the mail component of Evolution appearing
to crash, and after finding killev and oafslay (more programs to
kill runaway processes!), I was a bit happier, but it seems that
the source of my troubles lay deeper.

I was running Nautilus and Evolution at the same time, and I hadn't
configured sound ( esd ) yet, since I wasn't too bothered. BUT according
to this Debian bug I found,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=107941&repeatmerged=yes
Nautilus runs crappy if esd isn't configured.  I had noticed this,
but it wasn't high on my list of things to fix.
Once I stopped using Nautilus, Evolution seemed to perform flawlessly
( YAY! ).
I can only surmise that Nautilus was disturbing oaf or bonobo or
one of those type things, and that was disturbing Evolution.

HTH - Just in case someone else had this problem.

I'll be filing bugs ( or at least warnings of ) with Debian and Ximians
bugzilla for future reference.

Steve

--
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
"Eureka!" but "That's funny..."' - Isaac Asimov