GPL issues [Was: Old debian package source archive - where?]

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:56:18PM +0100, Brian Brunswick wrote:
> > I want to find the exact source to a particular old version of a
> > package that was once in testing/unstable. (arm glibc2.2.3-6) These
> > sources don't appear to be in the main package archive (for apt-get
> > source), and I can't find any obvious pointers on
> > www.debian.org. Where can I get it from?
>
> Unfortunately, you can't unless someone happens to have it lying around.
> The Debian archive and mirrors just don't have the disk space for that
> sort of thing.

Putting on my devil's-advocate hat to troll for a minute, why isn't
this GPL violation (or LGPL or whatever for this specific package)?

Given we've got separate binary and source packages, it would seem
that we probably don't fall under the "accompany the work with the
source code" clauses, in which case don't we have to be able to
provide source for up to three years after we distribute any binaries?

Richard.